We Asked You: Which Dorm is the Best?

A dormitory room in David/Johnathan Hall.

Darryl Nathan Speed II

CUC has a wide array of dorm buildings, from the farthest one, called David-Jonathan (D.J.), to the ones that are connected to the same building as most of your classes: Lindemann, Kohn and Krauss. On the other hand, Mary-Martha and Trusheim are located right in the middle of the campus; both can access the Victory Lounge in Concordia Hall.

The burning question that pervades campus is: Which dormitory building is the best?

Freshman B.J. Pitts was encouraged to apply to live in D.J. by his football team roommates, only to find that some rooms had an insect infestation. “The only bad thing that was about this place was how it was in the beginning with ants in my sink,” Pitts said. “But I think I handled that very well. Besides that, D.J. is great”  

Concordia Hall seems to be the most desirable dorm because of a larger living space, microwaves in each room, and a floor kitchen. Each room in Concordia also features controllable air conditioning at your fingertips. 

There are times where as a student you have to be real with yourself when it comes to living spaces here at CUC. Although we would all love to live in Concordia Hall, the high cost is a major setback for many students. 

The cost to live in Concordia is more expensive than any other dorm. A four-person suite with two beds per room costs a student $4,125 per semester. A five-person suite with individual rooms costs $4,275 per semester. The extra person in a five-person room sometimes causes headaches for students who want their own space.

Trusheim Hall costs $3,450 per semester. The current room rates for Kohn, Lindemann, Krauss, Mary-Martha, and David-Jonathan halls all sit at $3,275 per semester.

“Concordia has A/C,” said senior Jaylen Glass. “Everything else falls underneath, but Concordia Hall has A/C.” 

Many students interviewed for this story expressed a need for air conditioning in their room. Other students seemed happy to live without it because of the unpredictable Chicago weather. Especially this year, with a scorching hot September and snow in early November, it’s easy to refrain from dealing with the extra costs of air conditioning when you can use a box fan or open the window.

In D.J., students live in single or double rooms, with a bathroom shared with another suite-mates. Some students may say that they experience great living not from D.J., but from the other that are connected to the classrooms. When Winter comes, the connected dorms make it easy to walk to class without experiencing cold or snow.

“I chose Lindemann because of the environment, and it built my social life by not being closed in and having to share a floor and not a common room,” said sophomore Jordan Garcia, who also serves as resident assistant. “It pushed me to get out of my room and catch up with someone new in your life”.

“As an R.A. it is a privilege to have my own room and to have room and board paid for,” said Garcia. “Creating bulletin boards, posters, and events for the floor is a blessing.”

Resident life at CUC can feel different depending on where you lay your head. There’s a right fit for everyone, but each dorm comes with its own list of pros and cons.