Concordia-Chicago's Student Run Newspaper

The Spectator

The Spectator

The Spectator

Polls

What is the best dorm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

100th Anniversary of the Negro Leagues

Written by: Cassidy Stephenson

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Negro Leagues in baseball. Jackie Robinson is a notable player that paved the way for African Americans by becoming the first African American to play in the major leagues. Robinson broke this color barrier on April 15, 1947, when he started on first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962, along with Cleveland Indians pitcher Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson. Gibson, unfortunately, passed from a stroke at age 35 in January 1947 before Robinson broke the color barrier so Gibson never got to play in the Major Leagues.

In honor of the 100th anniversary, Concordia Chicago invites everyone to participate in the “Tipping Your Cap” campaign. To participate, one takes a picture of themselves “tipping their cap” to respect, honor, and show gratitude to those who paved the way for African American involvement in Major League Baseball. You can also post a caption on what the Negro Leagues mean to you and send the photo to photos@tippingyourcap.com. The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum will include your picture on their wall. You can also send your picture to career.services@cuchicago.edu to be included on the Athletic Department’s #tipyourcap2020 page on the website.