College of Business Newsletter

As the Fall 2020 semester starts, Dr. Claudia Santin from the College of Business and Professor of Leadership welcomes us to this unconventional fall semester. With all of our fall classes being online, the College of Business will remain determined to deliver the same high quality of education to students here at Concordia University Chicago. No matter what questions you may have, you can contact the COB for a virtual appointment. 

This year, the COB is sending off both Dr. Wanda Foster and Dr. John Schwarm. Dr. Foster joined the CUC team in 2006 and has been a program leader, professor, department chair, and internship liaison. Dr. Foster will go on to continue pursuing research regarding business ethics and organizational behavior. Dr. Schwarm joined CUC in 2018 and has served as an associate professor, MBA program chair, graduate program chair, associate dean, and director of business development. His next endeavor is to pursue a career with CBE Companies, working as a sales director for higher education and government segments. We’ve loved having both Dr. Foster and Dr. Schwarm here at CUC. Best wishes to them both!

The College of Business is inviting you to apply for their Dean’s Student Advisory Council, or (D-SAC). They offer forums to give students the opportunity to give feedback and creative ideas for our programs and curriculum. The council consists of approximately 10-12 members of undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs. Applications are due by October 31st. You can access the application on the CUC portal by going to Repository under the Resources tab. It will be reviewed by faculty and staff, and participants will be notified before the next meeting, virtually in November. Email Catherine.Sehlie@cuchicago.edu if you have any questions.

Despite e-learning, CougarTank is still on and will be offering online workshops throughout the semester. They are open to all CUC members to help you prepare for ‘the tank’ and for the business world. 

-The Idea Generating Workshop is led by Professor Marge Johnsson and is designed to help you come up with new business ideas. 

-The Personal Branding Workshop is led by Professor Elisabeth Dellegrazie, who will help you create your very own personal brand and how to market yourself. 

-The Formatting a Successful PowerPoint Workshop is led by CUC alumni of the CougarTank competitions, consisting of Emily Hynan, Anna Krenz, and Antea Pela. They will help you create and successfully present a PowerPoint presentation. You can take part in the virtual workshops, and also become a part of the CougarTank student board by contacting Business@cuchicago.edu.

There are so many opportunities to learn about business and to grow yourself here at CUC. The COB has dedicated itself to making sure that every student can be a part of the COB during an all online environment. There are many things you can take part in, even during this e-learning time. The College of Business has made themselves easily accessible to suit all your business-related needs throughout this fall semester. Even if you are home, don’t be afraid to jump in with your ideas and have fun this semester!