CUC Cougars Take On Sage College Gators and Webster University Gorloks

Written by Claire Urchell

After practice on March 12th, the Lady Cougars stopped at a souvenir shop and explored and took some pictures. Back Row; Row 1 (Left to Right): Sydney Paulauskis-Lauher, Claire Urchell, Kelly Tarasiewicz, Kate Roberts, Yasmine Fox, Becky Pieroni, Nikita Robbins, Kacey Powers. Row 2 (Left to Right): Amy Mescall, Mackenzie Melendez, Alexis Hilgert, Holly Bathje, Hailey Howard, Sydney Sterrett, Izzy Ortiz. Front Row; Row 3 (Left to Right): Kristen Landon, Nia Degeorge, Taylor Kulaszewicz (Photo Credit to CUC Athletics)

MARCH 11, 2020 – After an enjoyable off day on Tuesday, March 10, and another off-day on Thursday, the Lady (Concordia University Chicago) Cougars were ready to get back into action against two great opponents: Sage College Gators and Webster University Gorloks.

Hailey Howard was given the start for the first game against the Gators and was able to keep them scoreless in the first inning. The score broke zero in the top of the second with two outs and the Gators were able to get one run across the plate. However, the Cougars did not let that get to them as they immediately tied the game at one with a couple of clutch hits.

In the third inning, each team was able to battle back and score another run, tying the game at two runs each. With a couple of walks and base hits, the Gators were able to score two more runs in the top of the fourth inning making the score 4-2. The Cougars were kept scoreless in the bottom of the fourth, however, that did not stop them from battling back. The Sage College Gators were able to get a couple of runners in scoring position, but the Cougars were able to get out of the inning without any more damage to the score.

With two outs in the bottom of the fifth, the center fielder, Sydney Sterrett, drew a walk and started a rally. Right fielder Sydney Paulauskis-Lauher, singled through the left side and Sterrett advanced to second. Freshman Becky Pieroni came in clutch with a double to the left field fence scoring both Sterrett and Paulauskis-Lauher and tied the game. Scoring a run in the sixth and seventh innings, the Gators were able to pull ahead, but the Cougars were not able to battle back this time and lost the game 6-4.

After a tough loss, the Cougars needed to put the game behind them and focus on the next game against the Gorloks from Webster University. The team knew that this team hit well, so their defense needed to be the best it has been all weekend and that’s what happened. Sophomore Holly Bathje started in the circle for the Cougars in the second game and pitched a gem. This game was a battle in the circle as pitchers from both teams were shutting each other out inning after inning with great defense. Each team was able to get runners on base and in scoring position in each inning but could not score a run until the top of the seventh inning. Freshman Nikita Robbins started the inning off with a single to left field and advanced to second on a single by Sydney Sterrett.

Once again, freshman Becky Pieroni came up with a clutch hit that caused the Webster University shortstop to make an error and allow Robbins to be the lone runner to cross the plate. The Cougars needed three more outs to win this battle against the Gorloks and that’s what happened. Bathje went three-up, three-down and the Cougars earned their second win of the season 1-0.