3/13/2020-Cougars Season Ends

Written by Holly Bathje

Concordia Chicago University’s softball team poses for a photo after their final games of the season. Back Row (Left to Right): Amy Mescall, Sydney Paulauskis-Lauher, Yasmine Fox, Kate Roberts, Claire Urchell, Kacey Powers, Nikita Robbins, Alexis Hilgert, Becky Pieroni, Kelly Tarasiewicz, Nia DeGeorge Front Row (Left to Right): Sydney Sterrett, Izzy Ortiz, Holly Bathje, Kristen Landon, Taylor Kulaszewicz, Hailey Howard, Mackenzie Melendez (Photo Credit to CUC Athletics)

March 13, 2020- The day started off as a normal Friday in Clermont, Florida for the lady Cougars. It was game day! CUC softball had their minds on the game, but they also had to keep in mind that this could be their last day.

The Cougar softball season was in jeopardy due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This was not going to stand in the way of success for this team. After a  hard-fought game with Ohio Wesleyan University (Bishops), the Cougars ended up falling 5-6 in a full 7 inning game. Kate Roberts and Hailey Howard were able to hold the Bishops to just 6 runs.

The Cougar offense wasn’t able to strike back and get those last two winning runs. After a competitive game with the Bishops, the Cougars were ready to come back unstoppable. Game 2 started off building suspense, with the Saxons (Alfred University) scoring one-off Holly Bathje in the first inning. The Cougars were not going to be satisfied with a loss in what could be their final game.

After three scoreless innings for each team, the lady Cougars woke up the bats and scored their first run in the fourth inning. The suspense was killer as the score was tied up at 1 for the 5th and 6th inning. Bathje and her defense were able to hold the Saxons in the 7th.

It was time for the Cougars to show off all of their hard work. Sydney Sterrett and Taylor Kulaszewicz were able to position themselves on base from drawing walks. With two strikes and two outs, freshman Becky Pieroni was in a tough spot. Pieroni took advantage of this challenge and sent a home run far over the fence.

The lady Cougars took the victory 3-1 against Alfred University. Following the game, the CUC softball team found out that these two games today would be the final two of the season due to the pandemic. The walk-off fashion ending was even sweeter after hearing this news. As Coach Michele Alexander said, “Not many teams get to end their season on a win.”

The hard work that the CUC softball team put in from August until March showed in their final games. Team 60 was truly something special and they will be remembered forever.

https://spectator.cuchicago.edu/sports/senior-spotlight-kristen-landon.html