Mainstage Productions For the Spring

Written by Cassidy Stephenson

For their annual Spring Musical, the Concordia University Chicago (CUC) theater department is putting on “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” This is a musical based on the Peanuts comic strips by Charles M. Schulz. The book, music, and lyrics are by Clark Gesner, additional dialogue by Michael Mayer, and additional music and lyrics by Andrew Lippa. This production is being directed by Tomica S. Jenkins and the music for this production is being directed by Dr. Christian Hauser. The performance dates are February 21-22 and February 28-29 at 7:30 p.m and February 23rd and March 1st at 3 p.m. in the Bergmann Theatre, here on campus. Students can purchase tickets at CharlieBrownCUC.brownpapertickets.com or at will-call the night of the performance.

Director Tomica S. Jenkins responded with a summary about “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” “The whole gang is here: bossy Lucy is hopelessly in love with piano prodigy Schroeder who doesn’t give her the time of day, perfectionist Sally is still mocking blanket-toting Linus, Snoopy is in the doghouse, and ‘blockhead’ himself, Charlie Brown, is in rare form.”

The cast of CUC’s production consists of Briana Cavender, Emil Clausing, Corrie Hager, Dominic Reyes, Nina Williams, and Gavin Young. The theater department also has three guest artists: Joe Burke, a Chicago based projection designer for lighting, Robert S. Kuhn, a Chicago costume designer, and Anneliese Ayers, CUC alumnus and the choreographer for this production.

In addition to “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” the theater department is also putting on “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) [Revised]” by Adam Long, Daniel Singer, and Jess Winfield. This production will be directed by Dr. Jason Narvy. The performance dates are April 24-25, May 1- 2 at 7:30 p.m., April 26th and May 3rd at 3 p.m. It will also be held in the Bergmann Theatre. Students can purchase tickets at CompleteWorksCUC.brownpapertickets.com or the night of the performance.

Photo Credit to The Collective, CUC’s Theater Department