Concordia-Chicago's Student Run Newspaper

The Spectator

The Spectator

The Spectator

Polls

What is the best dorm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Doorway To the Mind 2019

Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta

Written by Mattie Rametta

“Doorway to the Mind” was held on Wednesday, December 4th at 11:30 am to 3:15 pm in the Christopher Center at Concordia University Chicago. “Doorway to the Mind” is an event held by the psychology department where students are able to present the work they are doing within their classrooms and internships. This event gives students a venue to gain a better understanding of the options available to them in the field of psychology, whether that be internship opportunities and experiences or graduate school.

CUC students listen to presentations during the Doorway to the Mind event. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)

Samantha Hiatt-Wilson, a senior student with a triple major in human communication and culture, psychology, and women and gender studies, when asked why she thought “Doorway to the Mind” was important said, “I thought it [“Doorway to the Mind”] was beneficial because it brought awareness to topics we will probably never cover in classes. Mine was about adolescence and whether popularity causes aggression in them. Also if you’re looking at grad school it’s a to have that kind of experience under your belt.”

Students are able to get a wide range of examples from independent studies, original research, reflections on their experience in psychology internships, and senior seminar presentations. Through these presentations attendees gain a wider view of the different aspects of the field. This is often a bonding experience for the department where students and faculty can reflect on the hard work students are doing in and out of the classroom as they build on their education and prepare for their next step. 

Jaylynn Johnson, a senior psychology major, said “Presenting at the ‘Doorway to the Mind’ is a real life opportunity to be able to present information that is interesting and important to you. I got a lot of help and support from the people around me at Concordia [CUC] which made the experience even better.” She presented with the senior seminar presentation on “The Role of Social Media on Body Image, Self Esteem, Depression, and Anxiety.”

For more information about the psychology department at Concordia University Chicago visit https://www.cuchicago.edu/academics/colleges/college-of-arts/psychology-department/psychology/