Eight CUC Students Inducted Into The Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society

Written by Karina Kosmala

Some of the newly inducted CUC members of Lambda Pi Eta honor society. (Photo Credit to Nicole Garza)

On Monday, December 9th, 2019, eight students from the communication department at Concordia University Chicago (CUC) will be inducted as the newest members of the Lambda Pi Eta.

With 500 active chapters across the United States, the Lambda Pi Eta is the official honor society of the National Communication Association. Alpha Epsilon Psi is the chapter specific to CUC.

Professor Tom Salek helped officiate the Alpha Epsilon Psi chapter at CUC, as a way to “encourage students to strive for excellence,” and giving a “specific, direct connection to other undergraduate students.” The society provides a opportunity for students to network with other students, faculty, and communication professionals.

Furthermore, Professor Salek’s goal is to let the honor society function as a student-run organization, allowing members to elect each other for leadership positions for the organization (such as President and Vice President). The student-run organization will work the communication department and Program Coordinator, Nicole Garza, to organize events that interest the students, such as guest speakers.

This student-run organization will “find ways to engage in the community and outside the classroom,” said Salek.

Besides the society allowing students to find sources outside of the classroom to help in their learning, students will receive honor cords at graduation, a certificate, and yearly newsletter showcasing pieces of research in the communication field. If students plan to continue their studies after graduation, they can include their membership to the organization on their resume. In addition to that, the National Communication Association published journals, and host yearly conferences to award research papers submitted on specific areas of communication (health communication, presidential communication, etc.).

Juniors and Seniors that are selected to be a part of the Alpha Epsilon Psi chapter at CUC, have to a have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25, a minimum GPA of 3.25 for all communication Studies courses, and currently a student and nominated by a faculty member of the communication department. After a student is nominated, there is a one-time lifetime membership fee of $39.95 in order to officially be a part of the society.