CUC Women’s Volleyball vs. Alverno College

Written by Arius Gatson

On Saturday, September 28th, Concordia University Chicago women’s volleyball team took on Alverno College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Concordia University Chicago (CUC) Cougars were ready to take on the Alverno College Inferno and show them that they were ready to take the win for the night.

In set one, the Cougars showed the Inferno that they weren’t going to let them take any wins. The Cougars blocked anything the Inferno threw at them. They refused to let Alverno College take the win. The first block of the game was done by junior Julia Spitelli whose position is the middle blocker. Going back and forth, the Cougars take the win of 25-14 in the first set.

Set two was a different story compared to set one. Alverno College was not going to continue to let CUC defeat them. They came back harder than ever in the second set, but CUC still showed them that they were not the ones to play with. Although the Inferno came close to defeating the Cougars, the Cougars still denied the Inferno’s offensive attacks. Freshman Tori Steele, who plays the right side position, defended the Cougars and led them to a 7-5 lead. The teams were playing back and forth scoring close to each other, but the Cougars took an extra point and giving them the lead against the Inferno with a score of 26-24 in set two.

Following set three, the Cougars had to show Alverno College they refused to lose. Although the Cougars started to fall behind, the Inferno still had to put up a fight against CUC’s Cougars. Alverno took the lead with a 16-11, but the Cougars kept fighting their way to keep the score even. Junior Jennifer Livesay, who’s positioned as the outside hitter, aced the ball and led to tying the score 17-17. This gave the Cougars a run for the game. As the game progressed, the Cougars finished out the set with a score of 25-20.