Concordia-Chicago's Student Run Newspaper

The Spectator

The Spectator

The Spectator

Polls

What is the best dorm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Upcoming Theater Events for the Fall Semester

Written by Cassidy Stephenson

It’s an action-packed fall semester for the Theater program at Concordia University Chicago (CUC). Rehearsals are under way for their next main stage production: “Eurydice,” directed by Professor Stephanie Stroud. Performances also have been moved from Madison Street Theater to Bergmann Theater at CUC’s campus. Besides the three main plays they have planned for this year that are directed by teachers, students are also given the opportunity to direct their own productions. We talked to CUC Junior, Caitlin Johnson, who is directing “Constellations,” a one-act play written by Nick Payne and published in 2001. Johnson held the auditions for the two-hander play, which is a two-person cast. Auditions were held on September 3rd, along with Stroud’s “Eurydiceauditions. Callbacks were the next day. 

Photo Credit to Cassidy Stephenson

When asked what “Constellations” was about, Johnson replied, “Constellations” is a spellbinding exploration of love, science, quantum theory, and infinite possibilities for heartbreak or for hope.” 

Its first performance was in London on January 19th, 2012 at the Royal Court Theatre. The cast at the time was Sally Hawkins and Rafe Spall. “Constellations” received a number of good reviews and continued their production at the Duke of York’s Theatre at West End. The play even won an Evening Standard Theatre Award. Nick Payne was 29 years old at the time, declaring him the youngest recipient of such an award. “Constellations” also was Jake Gyllenhaal’s Broadway debut in 2015 with his co-star, Ruth Wilson, who was nominated for a Tony for her performance.

The two characters in this play are Marianne, portrayed by Amanda Thieme, and Roland, portrayed by Emil Clausing. Marianne is a physicist and Roland is a beekeeper that meet at a party. However, their love story is left a mystery as described by Johnson, “They go home together, or perhaps they don’t. Maybe she breaks his heart, maybe he breaks her.” 

Find out by going to a performance on October 21-22 at 7:30pm in the Bermann Theater. Can’t make it? See a performance of “Eurydiceon November 15-17 and November 22-24. If you want to get involved in a production, audition for “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forumon November 18th 6:30-9:30pm, directed by Professor Brian Fruits and music direction by Dr. Christian Hauser. The Theatre program also has multiple clubs on campus if you don’t want to commit to one of the plays this season. For example, there is also Improv on Mondays at 9pm and Decapolis Theatre Ministry on Mondays at 4pm. Email David.Knoell@cuchicago.edu if you’re interested.