Jade Green: Newest Addition to Academic Advising Team

Jade Green works diligently at her desk. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)

Written by Mattie Rametta

Jade Green is the newest addition to the Academic Advising and Study Abroad team. (Photo Credit to Jade Green)

Jade Green is the newest addition to our Academic Advising and Study Abroad team. Green is from Zion, Illinois, which is located about 50 miles from Chicago. Green studied at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) where she received both her bachelor’s and master’s degree. She received her bachelor’s degree in 2016 with a degree in Spanish and Business Administration. After completing her undergraduate studies, Green took a year off to work in a corporate position at Anheuser-Busch. After working there for about a year, she returned to SIUE to pursue her master’s degree in College Student Personnel Administration in 2017 and graduated in May 2019. She came to Concordia University Chicago (CUC) directly after graduating with her master’s degree.

While this is Green’s first Academic Advising position, she did work with International Affairs at SIUE. Although her experience working with students one-on-one has just begun, she seems to be enjoying it very much. “I really love that piece of it,” she stated.

Green studied abroad with CEA (Cultural Experiences Abroad) where she had the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica. After studying abroad herself, she worked with CEA as an Alumni Ambassador where she promoted study abroad. As an Alumni Ambassador for CEA, Green marketed study abroad through the use of tabling, in class presentations, and study abroad fairs. Her focus there was to help students register for more information about the program and talk to students about her experience studying abroad.

Along with her love for her own study abroad experience, Green’s main aspiration is to expand the study abroad opportunities at CUC. She is currently working with AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study), an affiliate with CUC’s study abroad program, on ways to encourage students to study abroad more often. She wants to encourage students that are underrepresented students to study abroad, as this was her topic of study for her higher education research study at SIUE.

When asked how she feels about her short time at CUC thus far, Green remarked, “I really like it. My faith is a big part of me, so that’s one of the main reasons why I chose to come here [Concordia] because I knew it was faith based. So just working with some students that have the same faith as me motivates me as an individual to keep my faith strong and just learn more about the faith. And being a supporter of students of the faith.”

While she is still new in this profession, she is learning and growing. She is excited to begin this journey.