Sodexo Improves Food Allergy Complaints

by Katie Vazquez

In the midst of a popular food allergy inquiry pertaining to Sodexo options, Olivera Bezanovic, the general manager, had some clarification as to what is available, some current improvements to recent complaints, as well as some insight for what is to come. According to Olivera, there is to be a potential remodel in the year 2020 where there will be a complete section of the cafeteria dedicated to gluten free. Currently, certain options like gluten free pizza are not entirely gluten free because the ovens they use to cook the pizza are the same ovens that are contaminated with non-gluten free crust. Gluten free crust is available with this exception, but it is to be asked for and will take about 10-15 minutes to make.

As for improvements made to recent complaints, there is now two whole cooler shelves in the Library Café dedicated to gluten free. There will also be a new option of gluten-free mac and cheese with broccoli. In the Christopher Center and The Cougar Den, students can usually find a gluten free cooler with some varied options. Specifically in the Den, Olivera has noted to inquire about a gluten free bread option with Subway and corn tortillas for those who wish to have a quesadilla. There are gluten-free buns for hamburgers but have yet to be advertised.

Photo Credit to Katie Vazquez

It is an ambition of hers to make sure these options are labeled so students can tell what exactly is gluten free, but until then she advises students to ask their server. As for miscellaneous food allergies, such as Eggs, Nuts, or Lactose, Olivera assures that all pasta used by the cafeteria does not include egg, nor do they use nuts or peanuts in anything they cook. Students allergic to lactose should find the soy milk options available.  For anyone who feels they need further support in their diet or has additional specific allergies, Olivera is open to taking grocery lists for any needed accommodations.