Concordia-Chicago's Student Run Newspaper

The Spectator

The Spectator

The Spectator

Polls

What is the best dorm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Concordia Baseball off to Solid Start

Concordia Baseball off to Solid Start

Cougars men’s spring baseball began on February 27th in St. Louis Missouri, where they participated in the three-game Webster University Tournament, followed by the eight-game RussMatt Central Florida Invitational Tournament.

In 11 games played so far the Cougars have an 8-3 record; they won their first five games and took five out of eight in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational over spring break. All of this has been accomplished away from their home field with ten of the eleven games being played on neutral sites after starting the season at Webster.

With a .727 winning percentage, the Cougars have scored 62 runs with a team batting average of .311 (120 hits in 386 at bats) and have a collective .397 on base percentage. The three players with 45 at bats and above are batting .327 and over. The team leader in RBIs is Mitch Wilson with nine and with at least 35 at bats, Andrew Massey leads in batting average at .405.

The pitching staff has a 3.77 ERA who have pitched two shutouts; in six of eleven games they held the opponent to four runs or less. They have held their opponents to a .251 batting average and 41 of 50 runs given up were earned. Mike Formella leads the team in wins with a 3-0 record and 1.17 ERA. Alex Myers has a 2-0 record with a 3.18 ERA and Eric Palmer has a 1-0 record with a 1.89 ERA in 19.0 innings pitched.

The Cougars will resume play Thursday (3/17) in Austin, Texas against Concordia University Texas. There will finally be Cougars baseball on their home field on campus on April 2nd against Marian University in a double-header.