Concordia-Chicago's Student Run Newspaper

The Spectator

The Spectator

The Spectator

Polls

What is the best dorm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Staying Grounded

Students Daniel Valdez, Mattie Rametta, Megan Jacobsen, Cassidy Stephenson, Lauren Hiatt- Wilson and Sam Hiatt-Wilson keep in routine by playing games together on Tuesday, March 17th, 2020.  (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)
Students Daniel Valdez, Mattie Rametta, Megan Jacobsen, Cassidy Stephenson, Lauren Hiatt- Wilson and Sam Hiatt-Wilson keep in routine by playing games together on Tuesday, March 17th, 2020. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)

Written by Mattie Rametta

How to stay grounded during the COVID-19 pandemic:

Students Daniel Valdez, Mattie Rametta, Megan Jacobsen, Cassidy Stephenson, Lauren Hiatt- Wilson and Sam Hiatt-Wilson keep in routine by playing games together on Tuesday, March 17, 2020. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)
  1. Set a schedule for yourself and stick to it – without face-to-face classes and regular work schedules to keep you in the routine, it can be hard to get up and make an effort. In order to feel grounded and sane, many of us require a sense of normalcy. Continue to follow the schedule you had before you began social distancing to make this transition easier. Set an alarm, take a shower, get ready for the day. These things help in making you feel ready for the day and anything it may throw at you.
  2. Do things that bring you peace: pray, meditate, exercise. Do things that bring you a sense of calm and serenity. In times of uncertainty, it can be difficult to relax. Give yourself time to breathe while participating in activities that soothe your mind.
  3. Stay in touch with your friends– facetime, call, text, Snapchat, play iMessage games, send each other funny memes. Many college students are finding themselves unexpectedly at home for a long period of time. It’s hard not to be able to see the people you care about in person but that doesn’t mean you can’t reach out and continue to interact. Make use of Snapchat videos and house parties where you can group video chat or Netflix Party where you simultaneously watch and chat with friends.
  4. Keep on top of school – reach out to professors, email housing, schedule an appointment via phone or video chat with your advisors. The biggest thing right now for staying on top of school work and university-related things is to communicate. Everyone is facing a time of uncertainty so if you have questions or concerns REACH OUT.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Tutoring, counseling, and other services are still available to you and can be utilized.

Most importantly, STAY INFORMED. The CDC is releasing new information every day. The CDC reports that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. To protect yourself from the virus make sure to clean your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, avoid close contact, and avoid close contact with people who are sick. To protect others stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care, cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow, throw used tissues in the trash and immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, wear a facemask if you are sick, and make sure to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. Take care of yourself and those around you by following the guidelines set by your governor, the president, and the CDC.