Faculty Profile: Mia Garcia-Hills

Photo Credit to CUC Faculty website
Photo Credit to CUC Faculty website

Written by Arius Gatson

Mia Garcia-Hills is the Associate Dean of Students for Academic Success and Retention at CUC. (Photo Credit to CUC “Faculty & Staff Directory” website)

Concordia University Chicago (CUC) has very honorable and dedicated individuals that work here. The faculty at this institution works harder than ever to provide a satisfactory experience for students at their time being at CUC. Being a college student can be hard, and it is important for students to feel like they have people at their institution that will provide assistance when needed. One person at CUC that makes students feel welcomed on campus is Mia Garcia-Hills.

Mia Garcia-Hills is the Associate Dean of Students for Academic Success and Retention at CUC. Garcia-Hills work with students in the Academic Advising Center to further guide them to their road to success. Garcia-Hills has been working at CUC since 2006, which is approximately 18 years. Before Garcia-Hills became the Associate Dean of Students for Academic Success and Retention, she taught classes. She has taught for ten different departments on campus and she is also trained as an art educator. A few departments that Garcia-Hills taught in were communication, art, psychology, sociology, etc.

Garcia-Hills attended the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) to study art. Her initial ideal career was to be an art educator, and after having complications with her licensure paperwork, she was hired as an academic advisor. Garcia-Hills served as an academic advisor at UIC for two years. This was a great success for her because it gave her the foundation when she applied for the graduate specialist position here at CUC.

Garcia-Hills feels that her role as the Associate Dean of Students for Academic Success and Retention is important for students to feel like they are succeeding in their life. She knows that life can be hard, and students can feel as if they aren’t doing enough. As the associate dean in her department, it is her role to guide and support these students during their college experience. Garcia-Hills further explained how CUC needs someone who is dedicated to looking out for our students and their future. With Garcia-Hills’ role, she can look at the data of students who are facing problems and can reach out to them. Garcia-Hills understand that students may face problems in their own life, and in their academic life. As the associate dean of her role, she will take charge of helping students as much as possible. Her department wants to help students feel that CUC is their home.