Guatemala Mission Trip 2019

Written by: Casey Kuman

Concordia University Chicago will be going on a mission trip to Guatemala this upcoming May 18th to the 25th. There are up to 14 spots available for students to sign up. Applications and financial contracts need to be turned in by December 7, 2018, to Deaconess Betsy Karkan to secure your spot. It is a full week that includes the flight, housing, food, and insurance which costs $975. Students will be traveling to communities of Guatemala City, El Rincón, Amatitlan, and Buena Vista. Throughout the trip, students and staff will be assisting and supporting an ongoing ministry between 8 Guatemalan nationalists called Groundwork Guatemala. They serve people spiritually and physically. Each community starts in the morning with faith lessons and home visits. Students can also help sponsor children to help with educational needs.

Deaconess Betsy Karkan with CUC students at the Guatemala Mission Trip. (Photo Credit to Deaconness Betsy Karkan)

Tons of donations go toward replenishing supplies, hygiene kits, and school supplies. “We help set up health clinics by giving medicines, preventative care, prenatal care, vitamins, and thermometers,” stated Deaconess Betsy Karkan.

Many people in Guatemala are nutrient deficient and lack the resources for many supplies. CUC students and many other people help sponsor many children each year. About $20,000 is donated for these supplies. During home visits, students are introduced to a new culture, practice Spanish, and some translators help throughout visits. Many students after being there for only one week pick up many Spanish terms. Inside the house that the students and sponsors stay in, there is a craft shop with souvenirs and the money goes toward their specific needs. Also, some areas in Guatemala aren’t the safest, everyone needs to make sure to never walk alone, never to carry valuables with them, and they also take a private van to different areas. Everyone only carries a Bible and water bottles when traveling throughout the trip.

CUC has gone on eight trips to Guatemala which started in 2011. The smallest group that went was nine people. Each and every year there is an increase of student sponsors and donations. There are a variety of different people that attend this mission and each team is unique. It is staff led and was first proposed by Deaconess Betsy Karkan and Pastor Jeffrey Leininger. Karkan got involved in the planning process and said it is a great immersion experience. Karkan is a sponsor of two kids and has watched them grow. She helps with their educational and medical needs. There are 250 students in the program and many people like to mentor them. CUC students can use financial money and the entire amount will be charged to their account. It is like being charged for tuition and for classes. Some students have fundraised in the past by getting donations from their church, Go Fund Me accounts, and some have created bracelets and sold them. “Groundwork Guatemala” is a great program, and going on a mission trip to Guatemala is a special opportunity to have. To serve others spiritually and physically is an awarding experience and to share the love of God with others is very important. This week-long mission trip will give you everlasting memories. Sign up with Deaconess Betsy Karkan as soon as possible to secure your spot!