Carnivore, A Sustainable Butcher Shop

Co-owners Brad Knaub and Erik Williams opened the Carnivore butcher shop at 1042 Pleasant St. in Oak Park a little over a year ago. Knaub and Williams were chefs who met while working for the 4 Star Restaurant Group. Tired of working long hours for someone else, they came up with the idea of a sustainable butcher shop over drinks a few years ago. Carnivore is a high end butcher shop, run by friendly, knowledgeable people. This business had to be located in a neighborhood like Oak Park where many shoppers are willing to pay a bit more for higher quality. Carnivore is not the place to shop if you are looking for a bargain.

This is the place to shop if you are looking for high quality meat, fish, eggs, milk and prepared food that are all farmed locally. Their suppliers include: Spence Farm, Garden Gate Farm, Kilgus Farm, Feather Lane Farm and Metropolitan Farms. Knaub pointed out that all the meat, fish and vegetables sold at Carnivore is raised within a two hour drive time. But it is more than just proximity that is important, the plain speaking Knaub explained, “reasonably, humanly slaughtered, there is no way to humanely slaughter anything…it’s still murder. But we do our best around here to have animals that are raised well, treated well, fed well.” These two sincerely seem to care about everything in their shop, they know everything they sell intimately and are more than happy to take the time to pass on that knowledge. In addition to buying locally they are growing their own chillies right in the shop window and plan to plant spinach and tomatoes in front of the shop.

Knaub and Williams went into retail because they felt it would be easier and less costly than opening a restaurant. But, they are both chefs at heart and do not want to stop cooking. The shop has a sandwich menu, they smoke all their fish and meats on location, and there are coolers full of soups and pickled delicacies, all made in house. They will also be happy to prepare food, small meals for one or two or large catered events.

The pair just purchased a food truck from a friend; it is in the process of being branded. The plan is to start with the local metro stations serving breakfast while gaining experience. Then expand, working with area pubs and breweries the truck will be stationed at different locations to serve dinners and bar snacks.