2019 Homecoming Week at CUC Celebrates Oktoberfest

Written by Mattie Rametta

The Chicagoland Oompah band performing at CUC’s Oktoberfest on October 24th, 2019. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)

On October 24th, the Campus Activities Board, the Office of Multicultural Student Engagement, the Office of Student Leadership and Involvement, and Spiritual Life teamed up to host Oktoberfest on campus in the Triangle.

Oktoberfest is originally a German festival that celebrates Bavarian culture. Oktoberfest started as a wedding celebration over 200 years ago when the Prince Ludwig I of Bavaria married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen on October 12, 1820. They celebrated by feasting, horse races, and drinking for days. Oktoberfest is celebrated all over the world, but the main event is held in Munich, Germany, where the event originated.

So how did Oktoberfest find its way to Concordia University Chicago (CUC)?

Ben Simmons, the Spiritual Development Specialist for Kohn, Lindenmen, and Krauss, reached out with an interest to plan an Oktoberfest. When asked why he felt it was important to bring this event to campus he said, “I thought it would be important for student groups on Concordia’s campus to collaborate on an event. Too often one ‘group’ takes responsibility for projects and it seems like we are separated from each other. Unity is the most important thing about building a community on campus.”

CUC students participating in the bobbing for apples event during Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest was part of 2019 Homecoming Week at CUC. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)
Students standing in line waiting for pretzels, bratwurst, sauerkraut, and other foods served at Oktoberfest at CUC. (Photo Credit to Mattie Rametta)

The event featured a Chicagoland Oompah band and inflatables that include corn maze and bobbing for apples. Sodexo catered this event with brats, sauerkraut, pretzels, German potato salad, apple cider, hot cocoa, and a rootbeer garden.  Oktoberfest has the potential to turn into an annual October event on campus.

When asked about the likelihood of this event recurring, CAB President, Lauren Hiatt Wilson said, “I really enjoyed helping to create Oktoberfest because CAB got to work with other student organizations that we usually don’t get to work with. I hope that this is the start of an annual tradition!”