Suspect Responsible for Lockdown Arrested

Photo Credit to Emma Stone

Written by: Karina Kosmala,

Reporting by: Maci Killman, AJ Schlott, Daniel Hasko, Nicole Garza

On October 18th, 2018, Adan M. Ibarra was arrested by the RFPD and is charged with Domestic Battery. (Photo Credit to River Forest Police Department)

OCTOBER 17th- Concordia University Chicago (CUC) hosted a panel titled, “Violence Against Women: It’s a Men Issue,” as part of the Domestic Violence Awareness Month where at the time, a male, non-CUC student, confronted a female, non-CUC student, fleeing from the River Forest Police Department (RFPD), that led to a four hour lockdown issued by CUC. The Spectator Staff members brings you a timeline of the issue with the situation that took place in the Christopher Center 200 classroom during the Domestic Violence Awareness panel.

5:45pm – “Several program attendees which included the University personnel noticed and responded to a physical altercation that involved a male and female in the interior hallway towards the back of Christopher Center (CC),” according to Dean Hynes. The “physical altercation that took place, the male was attempting to forcibly pull and drag the female down the back staircase of CC 200, to an interior hallway and eventual outside of the room.” One University staff member was able to “physically separate the two, resulting in the assailant fleeing from the situation,” “also at this time, program leadership, very quickly called 911 to report that there was an assault that took place.”

5:50pm – RFPD arrived at the Christopher Center, “in which the responding officer attempted to engage the assailant in Lot 1, west to the Christopher Center, assailant was not compliant and fled the area immediately, and went towards the interior of the campus.”

6:19pm – Concordia University Chicago sent out a message to all students, staff, and faculty placing the campus on “lockdown,” and that they should seek the nearest safe location, and lock their doors.  Following CUC report message, Dominican University, and Grace Lutheran Church and School issued a lockdown as well.

7:02pm – While CUC students and staff sheltered inside the buildings on campus, the RFPD categorized this as a domestic violence dispute and no weapons were being reported. The police spoke with the female involved, who is a College of DuPage student, and she knew the male and attended the campus event with him. The student was evaluated by medical staff, and “declined any further medical treatment,” informed that the male did not carry a weapon and was known to not carry weapons.

7:11pm – “911 call placed from 2nd Mary Martha, by a resident student from Mary Martha, using their cell phone, indicating that there was ‘a loud concerning noise could possibly be gunshots,’ quickly determined that the report was a false report,” according to the Town Hall Meeting.

7:17pm – Students reported that RFPD officers with their K-9 units searched Trusheim and Mary-Martha Residence Halls, room by room, while the other officers patrolled campus looking for the suspect.

7:48pm – Police scanner traffic reported a nearby unrelated robbery at a local store.

7:50pm – CUC sent a follow up message to CUC students and that Concordia is still on “lockdown.”

8:20pm – RFPD continued to search residence halls, floor by floor, while also trying to navigate the location of the suspect’s phone and receive confirmation that T-mobile does not have access to that data regarding phones.

8:43pm – Concordia University Chicago sent a follow up message stating that CUC is still on lockdown and that RFPD is continuing the investigation.

9:15pm- A CUC student overheard officers talking about the suspect possibly fleeing the scene.

9:45 pm- President of CUC and the rest of the emergency response team met with River Forest Police Department Chief, confirming through K-9 searches, and speaking to other residence hall students, and concluded that there was no evidence of any gunfire in the building. Stated that the assailant from the domestic assault situation was no longer on campus or in the area.

10:08pm- Concordia University Chicago releases message that “the CUC main campus emergency situation has ended.”

October 18th, 2018 – River Forest Police Department arrest Adan M. Ibarra charged with Domestic Battery, and scheduled to appear at the Cook County Fourth District Courthouse on October 28, 2018 at 9:00am, his bond is set at $30,000/10% ‘with additional conditions of bond’ according to the River Forest Police Department news release.

This is considered the first “complete” lockdown in University history, even though the University has emergency procedures for a situation like this.